Monday, August 16, 2010

I was born to be Italian

Except for the fact that I have reddish hair, freckles, and pasty white skin, I fit in wonderfully in Italy.

Back in May (27 - 31 to be exact), Colby Parish, Monica Hubrich, Aubrey Bloom and I went along the Amalfi coast. The food was AMAZING, the company fantastic, and the trip overall a complete joy.

The weekend was full of planes, trains and automobiles (and boats); I came from London through Milan, through Rome through Naples to Sorrento, then to Solerno, then to Paestum, then to Amalfi, then to Capri then to Naples then back to London through Milan again. Spent literally over 30 hours travelling in the four days but again, Italy was great.

It all started with very little sleep the night before, and traveling in my pajamas. Needless to say, I felt a bit out of place moving from fashion capitals of the world (London and Milan), all while wearing my comfy pajama pants. But the first real stop: Sorrento.

Overlooking Sorrento


Night #1 in Sorrento, overlooking the city and sea at sunset, we had an amazing dinner to start off the trip.

View #2 of dinner in Sorrento

View #3 of Sorrento

Aubrey on our bus ride down the coast. I bow to the abilities of those drivers--narrow streets on a cliff + big buses = freaky.

View from the bus.

Paestum, some ancient ruins or something. They are real old. Like, fo real.

Egyptian pose

Check out those lips. Yum.

Most of the sites were beautiful. However, this one made me cringe. Gives the term 'shorts' a whole new meaning.
Paestum
Our second night in Solerno was higlighted by a live fashion show just outside our pizzeria. Unfortunately, no pictures....so here's a drawing to help you get the idea.

Third night we spent in Amalfi. Saw a renaissance parade, I tried to take part. Turns out the Italian women weren't so accepting of that idea. I felt like the step-sister in the crew.



The girls with Amalfi in the background

We thought our first dining night in Sorrento couldn't get better, but then we found Donnastella in Amalfi. Words can't describe the charm, but I'll try. There was fresia surrounding the big patio, lemon trees growing over the courtyard, amazing food, and a band with an accordion.

Our last day we spent in Capri--it was toasty and the sea beckoned to us. That water was ah-maz-ing.

Capri

Capri beach

Our last night, we made our way to Naples. Ah Naples, how shall I describe thee. One word will to the trick: SKETCHY. Never felt so out of place / weary of another city in Europe (so far). I didn't have any pictures of this one either, but you're not missing much. Good pizza though. Drooooolll...

1 comment:

  1. i was born to be italian, too! sort of...

    so jealous of your trip. and pizza. mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete